Music at Timbercroft
Music at Timbercroft
Music is an integral part of the curriculum at Timbercroft, and is taught within the context of topic based learning. Children are given opportunities to sing, play, and listen to music, participating in assemblies, end of year shows and community performances. Music helps children improve their self-confidence, be creative and develop a sense of achievement.
Music in the Community
The Choir rehearses once a week and assist in leading singing assemblies in KS2. They have been integral in devising our own Timbercroft Primary School song that focuses on the school values. Children are currently learning the song ready for our whole school 'Big Outcome' at the end of the year.
Timbercroft also incorporates musical talent into traditional Christmas Carol Services and end of year productions. This gives children who are not as confident the opportunity to demonstrate their talents to friends and family.
Music Tuition at Timbercroft
Timbercroft also offers private music lessons from peripatetic guitar teachers. These lessons are timetabled during the school day and children have opportunities to perform in assemblies.
Music in the Curriculum
Currently the music curriculum focuses on the following areas:
In KS1 children are taught to:
- use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
In KS2 children are taught to:
- play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts.
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory .
- use and understand staff and other musical notations
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
- develop an understanding of the history of music
One of the curriculum working parties are currently re-writing the curriculum for music at Timbercroft to incorporate more opportunities for the children to learn to play different instruments throughout their time at Timbercroft. This will be in place in September 2018.