Timbercroft receives Judidium's School Safety Award!
Timbercroft recently received the School Safety Award for demonstrating a tireless commitment to achieving compliance and making continuous improvements to ensure all the health and safety actions are completed!
Timbercroft's Premises Manager with support and guidance from Maritime's Estates and Compliance Manager - have put in an enormous amount of effort into ensuring all records are available and up to date.
The key areas leading up to the Safety Award are mentioned below:
- No serious breaches of health & safety regulations have been identified. No high priority recommendations remain unaddressed from any action plan issued to the school.
- A robust health and safety policy and supporting procedures are in place at the school and are reviewed annually. A staff handbook is in place and induction process for staff.
- Risk assessments cover all areas of activities across the school including P.E, educational visits and premises management; and are considered thoroughly suitable and sufficient for all identified tasks. These are on a programme of review annually and are added to as needed. COSHH risk assessments are in place for substances at the school.
- Recent improvements have been made to ensure compliance include the installation of the gas interlocking system in the kitchen.
- A robust maintenance and inspection regime across the school has been put in place by the premises manager. A managing contractor’s policy is in place and health and safety checks are made to ensure competent contractors and a thorough permit to work system in place which has been instigated by Gary.
- Training needs have been identified and a programme of instructor lead training has been be delivered. E-learning for all staff and training for staff with key roles is in place and has a programme of refreshment. The premises manager has completed a number of courses including IOSH Managing Safely and continues to completed CPD. Key roles have had health and safety training. Areas such as first aid have suitably trained and competent staff as well as robust systems are in place to ensure that records are updated.
- Suitable records are in place for asbestos, legionella management and the general work environment at the school.